Contact: Chaunda Ball, 212-407-3732, firstname.lastname@example.org
AARP and Riverhead Free Library to Host 50+ Resource Fair
RIVERHEAD, NY – The Riverhead Free Library and AARP New York are hosting a 50+ Resource Fair on October 21, 2013 from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. The fair, taking place at the library, will provide information for 50+ adults and caregivers on programs, services and benefits such as nutrition assistance, health, safety, andveteran’s affairs.
“As many older adults are not aware of available resources that can help keep them healthy, improve their quality of life and save them money, this resource fair will allow local residents to go straight to the source and speak directly with a resource representative, get needed information, and register for programs for which they may be eligible,” said Will Stoner, AARP New York Associate State Director on Long Island.
On hand will be local agencies such as:
· On-site SNAP (Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program) enrollment. SNAP helps seniors pay for their grocery bills and keeps them healthy through proper nutrition.
· Town of Riverhead Assessor Office, which can help people determine eligibility for senior tax deductions and property related issues.
· Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office, which offers safety programs like Shed the Meds for safe prescription medication disposal, Project Life Saver, and Medical Alert Card.
· AARP Driver Safety and Car Fit, which helps keep 50+ drivers safe on the road and assesseshow a person’s car fits them as they age.
· NYState EPIC and NY Prescription Saver Programs, which offer affordable prescription drugs for older adults
· The Suffolk County Office for the Aging and the Town of Riverhead Senior Citizens Services, which provide a variety of services for older adults in the community.
Congressman Tim Bishop and Town Supervisor Sean Walter will be in attendance to welcome attendees at 11:30. There will be free giveaways for the first 100 people to enter and free raffles during the day.
Follow us on Twitter: @AARPNY and Facebook: AARP New York
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of more than 37 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment and income security, retirement planning, affordable utilities and protection from financial abuse. We advocate for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name as well as help our members obtain discounts on a wide range of products, travel, and services. A trusted source for lifestyle tips, news and educational information, AARP produces AARP The Magazine, the world's largest circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin; www.aarp.org; AARP TV & Radio; AARP Books; and AARP en Español, a Spanish-language website addressing the interests and needs of Hispanics. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to political campaigns or candidates. AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity of AARP that is working to win back opportunity for struggling Americans 50+ by being a force for change on the most serious issues they face today: housing, hunger, income and isolation. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more at www.aarp.org.