Purpose: Sets the valuation of all real property in the Township. Assesses property when a building permit is issued on improvements and additions. Maintains property tax exemptions for senior citizens, veterans, clergy, agricultural, volunteer firefighter/ambulance workers, nonprofit organizations. Additionally, property ownership transfers, splitting and merging of properties through filed maps, tax apportionments, and general information regarding real property tax administration are further responsibilities of the Assessors.
THE STAR PROGRAM
Due to new legislation in 2016, the STAR property tax exemption program is now closed to NEW applicants.
If you had the STAR exemption on your 2015-16 property tax bill, the STAR program remains the same for you. No further action on your part is necessary, as long as you own the home and continue to make this your primary residence.
New homeowners or those that had never applied for Basic or Enhanced STAR must now REGISTER with the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance to receive a STAR check.
To learn more about the STAR income tax credit/check, please click here. https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/star/rp-5310-fs.pdf
To REGISTER for the STAR credit/check, go to https://www.tax.ny.gov/star/ or call (518) 457-2036.
LIMITED INCOME SENIOR CITIZEN EXEMPTION for the 2023-24 tax year
- Property must be owned by person(s) 65 years of age or older by December 31st of the year of application.
- Owner(s) must have owned property in New York State for at least 1 year prior to taxable status date March 1st of the year of application.
- Income tax year is 2021 and property owner(s) must supply a copy of their Federal AND New York State 2021 income tax returns including all schedules.If no income tax return is filed, we require copies of all 1099s for the 2021 income tax year
- Only Suffolk County allows for the deduction of unreimbursed medical expenses against income.Proof is required.
- The deadline to file an application with the Assessors’ Office is March 1st.THERE ARE NO EXTENSIONS FOR FILING A NEW APPLICATION.
- Click here to download the application - Aged Application 23-24
- Click Here for instructions - rp467I_Senior_Instructions_2023-2024
For further information, please contact our office at (631) 727-3200 ext. 255, 257, 258
OTHER EXEMPTION INFORMATION
NEED FORMS? Exemption applications may be obtained by contacting our office or by downloading forms at New York State Department of Taxation and Finance at the following website: Click this link for Exemption Applications
DEADLINE All exemption applications must be returned to our office on or before March 1st of each year.
QUESTIONS? If you have any questions or need assistance, feel free to visit your friendly Assessors and their staff or call 631-727-3200 Ext. 255.
Senior Citizen with Limited Income Application (RP 467)
Enhanced Star Application (RP 425-E)
Enhanced Star Income Verification Program Application (RP 425-IVP)
Disabled Persons with Limited Income Application (RP 459-c)
Alternative Veteran Application (war-time vets) (RP 458-a)
Cold War Veteran Application (non war-time vets) (RP 458-b)
Volunteer Firefighter/Ambulance Worker Application (RP 466-c)
Agriculture Assessment Application (RP 305)
Agricultural Buildings & Structures (RP 483)
Grievance Form (RP 524)
Grievance Form Instructions
(Please note that the grievance period for the Town of Riverhead is May 1st through the 3rd Tuesday in May of each year)